Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stereoview - 3D Illusion

I wanted to try creating a stereoscopic image pair with the Omniscope camera. This is nothing new - check out these images of the Smithsonian Institution, from 1858. Enlarge the images on your monitor. Look at the center of the image pair, and slowly cross your eyes. A stereoscopic image will appear.

For this experiment, I made four images of the Agora sculptural installation. The camera was moved a few inches for each exposure. Once the film was processed and scanned, I printed two images that are approximately 38 inches wide. At the 2008 Around the Coyote Fall Arts Festival, I mounted the images side by side to demonstrate the effect. It is difficult to achieve for some people, as the images are low in contrast.

Enlarge the image on your monitor. Look at the center of the image. Slowly cross your eyes until the images merge. 



The effect is subtle, yet I was amused with the possibilities. Another pair exists that is easier to view, and there are some ideas that I will explore that will create a stronger illusion.